TEi’s comprehensively equipped metallurgical lab provides a broad range of tests on metals to customers’ requirements and national and international specifications. We have a wealth of experience in both laboratory and in-situ testing relevant to a range of industries including the power generation, petrochemical and general engineering sectors. At TEi we offer excellent customer service and are always willing to discuss our customers’ requirements so we can meet their needs in a friendly, efficient and cost effective manner.
Our services include:
- Metallurgical Examinations and Failure Analysis
- In-Situ Testing
- Mechanical and Weld Testing
- Chemical Analysis
- Corrosion Testing
- Heat treatment
Please contact us today to discuss your specific requirements.
Metallurgical Examinations and Failure Analysis
Our lab is fully equipped with optical microscopes, stereoscopes and a scanning electron microscope fitted with EDX. The microscopes are complimented by our mechanical testing equipment and chemical analysis suite to aid with metallographic examinations, failure analysis and product conformance.
Macro and microscopic features can be assessed at up to 500x magnification using our optical microscopes and we routinely evaluate key material parameters such as:
- Grain size and grain morphology
- Volume Fraction of Phases.
- Inclusion Cleanliness
- Coatings & Surface treatment
- Thermal treatments
We offer full characterisation of service failure mechanisms. We deal with failures from a wide range of industries and have a wealth of experience dealing with failures related to applied stress and corrosion. Depending on the failure type, we can provide:
- Evaluation of fracture and microscopic features
- Evaluation of coatings, corrosion products, deposits, micro-constituents and debris
Please contact us today to discuss your metallurgical examination requirements.
TEi Metallurgical Services specialises in:
- In-situ metallographic examinations and replication of microstructures for the assessment of thermal degradation and creep cavitation
- Alloy verification and positive material identification (PMI)
- Portable hardness testing using Equotip or Krautkramer MIC10 equipment
Please contact us today to discuss your in-situ testing requirements.
Mechanical and Weld Testing
We provided mechanical testing for key material parameters for base metals and welded components. As part of our mechanical testing, we can provide weld procedure and welder qualification certification to both EN ISO and ASME IX. Our mechanical testing facilities include:
We can facilitate ambient, elevated and sub-zero temperature tensile tests to European and American specifications utilising a 500kN Servo-hydraulic MAYES machine linked to an INSTRON controller. We typically report the yield & ultimate tensile strength, elongation, and reduction of area.
We have dedicated test machines for both European and American standards. Testing can be carried out at cryogenic, ambient and elevated temperature for evaluation of Toughness and fracture properties.
We offer a range of tests to evaluate flexibility, formality and fracture properties.
Hardness properties can be determined using our Rockwell, Vickers, rebound and Ultrasonic Coupled Impedance hardness test machines.
Please contact us today to discuss your mechanical testing requirements.
Alloy composition is often a key parameter when determining a material’s specification. We offer rapid analysis by optical emission spectroscopy (OES) to analyse for all the key elements in low alloy and stainless steels. Other materials which can also be analysed include aluminium alloys, cast irons, copper alloys and nickel alloys.
Please contact us today to discuss your chemical analysis requirements.
We offer testing for both pitting and intergranular corrosion types. We typically test to one of the following standards:
- BS EN ISO 3651-1 Detecting Susceptibility to Intergranular Attack in Stainless Steels in media containing Nitric acid
- ASTM G28 – Susceptibility to Intergranular Corrosion in Wrought, Nickel-Rich, Chromium-Bearing Alloys
- BS EN ISO 3651-2 & ASTM A262-E – Detecting Susceptibility to Intergranular Attack in Stainless Steels in media containing Sulphuric acid
- ASTM G48 – Pitting and Crevice Corrosion Resistance of Stainless Steels and Related Alloys by Use of Ferric Chloride Solution
- ASTM A923 Method C Ferric Chloride test for Classification of Structures of Duplex Stainless Steels.
- ASTM G36 Stress Corrosion Cracking in a boiling Magnesium Chloride solution
Please contact us today to discuss your corrosion testing requirements.
We have dedicated muffle furnaces for the heat treatment of test specimens to establish simulated high temperature service effects on microstructure and physical properties. We also provide simulated post weld heat treatments and our testing can aid with the optimisation of product heat treatment parameters.
Please contact us today to discuss your heat treatment requirements
For tests within the Accredited Scope – follow link